How does overworking affect your productivity?
- The professional world has come to a point where every employee wants to be better than the rest. And you might feel that the best way to stand out in this competitive crowd is to keep working without thinking about anything else.
- People often tend to brag about their ability to overwork in front of their employers or during job interviews as an important skill thinking that it will help them get the upper hand.
- This notion that the number of hours you work determines how brilliant you are as an employee is wrong on many levels.
- Research claims the opposite. It has been found that overworking has the potential to diminish your productivity in many ways. So before you think about improving your performance by wearing yourself out, read the reasons why overworking is dangerous for you and your career aspirations.
If you keep working day and night, it will impact your physical and mental well-being terribly.
1. Adversely affects your health:-
It will turn out to be a horrifying situation for you if you keep pushing yourself despite being in a constant state of stress and exhaustion.
A lack of sleep will exacerbate these problems making you vulnerable to other serious mental health problems like anxiety and depression.
This kind of workplace stress and poor mental health stemming from overworking might also force people to resort to unhealthy coping mechanisms like alcoholism.
Researchers have also found that extreme burnout might also increase the chances of heart attack and stroke.
2. Destroys work-life balance:-
The importance of a healthy work-life balance cannot be stressed enough. Working throughout the day erases the thin line between your work life and personal life. Here working does not only mean big things, but it can also be something as small and simple as replying to work emails.
When you keep doing something or the other work-related task even after the working hours, gradually you will find yourself getting trapped in its web in such a way that you will find it extremely difficult to disconnect yourself.
A poor work-life balance will jeopardize your relationships and completely ruin your health and happiness.
3. Sets impractical expectations:-
Before you go on to put extra effort to impress your boss, remember that this can backfire on you. If you keep burning the midnight oil to complete your tasks before the deadline, your employers might seize this opportunity by burdening you with tasks and giving you unrealistic targets to achieve.
This perception that you are always there to put your blood and sweat into a project will make your team members and leaders approach you whenever they want to, even after working hours to get something done. Your boundaries will get blurred and you will get caught in a cycle of continuous work.
What you can do to stop yourself from overworking:-
Overworking does not only lower your productivity but has detrimental consequences for your personal and professional lives as well. So if you find yourself toiling hard for long hours, then it is time that you introspect before it gets too late. Ask yourself and find out what is driving you to work in this unhealthy manner.
Make a practical schedule and limit the work-related tasks to only working hours and dedicate the rest of your time to your personal life and well-being. Make sure to incorporate rejuvenating activities like sports, yoga, or meditation.
An essential component of maintaining work-life balance is by setting boundaries. Make sure that you completely unplug after your working hours. And this will only be possible if you stick to your schedule and work with complete focus and determination to finish your tasks daily so that they do not pile up.
While it might seem tempting to work overtime, once you get into this habit, it will snatch away not only your satisfaction but also productivity and leave you physically and mentally drained to do even the smallest things. Here’s to leaving this toxic habit of overworking and adopting a healthy work culture that prioritizes your health and happiness over other things.
Author- Achal Chaurasia
A superior and highly experienced entrepreneur in the field of business for quite a long time now.
Also, a philanthropist, author, and public speaker who believes in working towards the overall well-being and betterment of society as a whole.